Soft Sculpture and Matching Painting - Sgt. LaLa
One of my oldest and dearest friends, Nina Chermak Rosenberg, cut her teeth in the design studios of Polo Ralph Lauren and Alexander Julian Collection in NYC. She now lives in Louisville, where she’s an award-winning Kentucky Derby hat maker.
She also makes items like jackets and home goods from new and vintage fabric.
I asked her to make a three-dimensional LaLa, and this is the result.
Meet Sgt. LaLa, LaLa's homage to her favorite band. (A little known fact: the original title of the song was "All You Need is LaLa," but she was too embarrassed by all the attention, so they changed it. )
Some details of this one-of-a-kind three-dimensional art are:
• her outfit is made from soft cotton velvet, and adorned with gold fringe epaulets, gold sequins, vintage ribbon, and brass buttons.
• the outfit is completely made by hand, and has working buttons
• her "Beatle mustache" is removable
• she has removable boots
• her eyes are crafted from faceted jet black beads, and she has a winsome, embroidered smile
• her arms, legs, and ears are completely bendable
• she has the softest plush micro fleece exterior, and is stuffed with premium Poly-Fil
• LaLa stands at 22" from toe to ear
Sgt. LaLa comes with a matching 12 x 12 x 1 1/2 acrylic painting on premium canvas, wired and ready to hang.